To the casual visitor it will not be at all obvious that there is a canal that runs through Woolstone. To be fair, the section of the Wilts and Berks Canal that is within the parish is in a dilapidated state and virtually unrecognisable.
The Wilts and Berks Canal provided a link from the River Thames by Abingdon to the Kennet and Avon canal to the east of Trowbridge. The canal was opened in 1810, and officially closed in 1914. Despite the name, county boundary changes mean that the part of the canal that used to run through Berkshire is now within south Oxfordshire.
Although at the moment the majority of the canal is without water, work is underway to restore the canal to a navigable state. Details of the work, and some history of the canal is provided on the website of the Wilts and Berks Canal Trust. The trust has a number of branches, each covering their own section of the canal. The local section of canal from Uffington to South Marston, is covered by the West Vale branch.
The original line of the canal passes through the north of the parish, north of Claypit Lane, and immediately south of the main railway line. The only part of the canal that is reachable by public rights of way in Woolstone is reached at the junction of two footpaths (FP7 - part of the D'Arcy Dalton Way, and FP8 west of Oxleaze Farm).